Raleigh attorney Louis Wooten brings to Louis Wooten, Attorney at Law extensive experience in handling business, tax and estate planning matters. He has a down-to-earth style and a penchant for explaining complicated legal concepts to clients in simple, everyday terms. Louis Wooten is a devoted husband and father who understands every family’s need and desire to chart the best course for the future. Whether you are planning your estate or contemplating a business start-up or acquisition, Louis Wooten is there to help you. He has the breadth of knowledge to see the big picture and the analytical skills to guide you in making sound decisions with the present and the future in mind.
Louis Wooten has practiced law for 22 years and approaches each case with the belief that all legal problems are solvable with an open mind, careful planning and a keen understanding of applicable law. He seeks practical-minded solutions to the complicated problems that business and individual clients face. Louis offers the legal expertise in business, estate and tax law associated with larger firms with the personalized attention that clients expect from smaller firms. Louis never loses sight that in the end, he is a service provider and that the satisfaction of his clients is paramount. He has received an AV Rating by Martindale-Hubble®, the highest rating given by the oldest and most trusted lawyer rating service in the United States.
Before he was a respected lawyer, Louis Wooten was a diligent student. He earned twin degrees — a bachelor of arts and a bachelor of science — from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received a Juris Doctor degree from Wake University School of Law and a graduate law degree in tax law from Emory University. After law school, Wooten received a prestigious clerkship with the Honorable Robert P. Ruwe of the United States Tax Court in Washington, D.C. During his clerkship, Louis developed a passion for legal research and the ability to reduce to writing complex matters in simple, easy to understand terms. In addition, Louis developed the ability to see a problem objectively, like a court will, and as a consequence he is better able to evaluate his clients’ problems realistically and properly manage his clients’ expectations.
Over the years, Louis has worked in both large and small law firms. For the state wide firm of Poyner and Spruill to the local Raleigh firm of Everett, Gaskins, Hancock and Stevens (where served as managing partner for two years), Louis has learned from the best. Louis has received an “AV” rating from Martindale Hubbell, the highest peer review rating given by the legal profession’s preeminent authority on attorneys and legal resources. Louis is a member of the American Bar Association, State Bar of North Carolina, the North Carolina Bar Association, the Tenth Judicial District Bar and the Wake County Bar. Louis has been active in the state and local bar. He has served on various bar committees over the years. Currently serves as a member of the Section Council of the North Carolina Bar Association Tax Section and as an editor on the Estate Planning Section Newsletter Committee.
Louis cherishes traditional North Carolina values. When he is not practicing law, he enjoys hunting, fishing, cooking, gardening and spending time at North Carolina’s beautiful coast with his wife Sally and their three children.
Prior Professional Experience
- North Carolina Department of
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
- Wake County
- City of Raleigh
- City of Charlotte
- City of Greensboro
- Town of Apex
- Town of Cary
- Town of Holly Springs
- Town of Wake Forest
- Cape Fear Public Utility Authority
- Piedmont Natural Gas
- PSNC, Inc.
- Duke Energy Progress, LLC
- Atlantic Coast Pipeline
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
Campbell University School of Law, Raleigh, North Carolina
- J.D. magna cum laude
- Law Review: Campbell Law Review, Business Editor, 2010 - 2012
Campbell Business School, Raleigh, North Carolina
- M.B.A. summa cum laude
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- B.A. - 2009
- Major: Political Science, Philosophy
- Co-author/presenter, Practical Tips for Trying Cases Involving Limitation of Access, NCAJ Eminent Domain Seminar (2014)
- Co-author/presenter, Combating Condemnor Challenges and Strategies, NCAJ Eminent Domain Seminar (2015)
- Co-author/presenter, Creative Approaches to Proving Damages in Partial Takings Cases, NCAJ Eminent Domain Seminar (2016)
- Co-author/presenter, Eminent Domain Case Law Update, NCAJ Eminent Domain Seminar (2017-18)
- Co-author/presenter, Establishing Damages in Partial Takings, NCAJ Eminent Domain Seminar (2019)
Honors and Awards
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite (2016-2020)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- 10th Judicial District Bar
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Eminent Domain Section